Two Tribes Music

UK Business Blog

Non-Domestic EPC Register

Are energy reports a legal requirement

What is a Commercial EPC

The EPC, or Energy Performance Certificate, is a report which details the energy efficiency of a property or building. There are two main categories of certification, Domestic and Non-Domestic. Domestic are for privately owned apartments and houses with the Non-Domestic EPC designed to provide ratings for commercial buildings such as offices, retail shops or restaurants.

Does energy efficiency matter?

Having good energy efficiency means that you can perform the same task by using less energy, which in turn, avoids wasted energy. Good energy efficiency has numerous benefits, for example, as a reduction in harmful emissions, a reduction in imported energy and importantly, lowering the costs of your energy bills. For commercial buildings, even small improvements to your efficiency can result in potentially large savings!

Are all of your assessors qualified

Are energy reports a legal requirement?

Having a valid Non-Domestic EPC is a legal requirement for either building or marketing your property for sale or rent. It is worth noting that recent changes in regulations mean it is now also a requirement to have a valid EPC even if the property already has existing tenants.

Can I check if I already have an EPC?

Yes, absolutely. As the certificates are valid for such a long time, it is easy to forget if the certificate is still valid, or what the renewal date is. You can check if you have one by viewing the Non-Domestic EPC Register, simply enter the postcode here –

Are there any minimum rating requirements

Who can perform the report?

Commercial EPCs can only be performed by a fully qualified Non-Domestic Energy Assessorwho is registered with the Non-Domestic EPC Register. Please note that Domestic Energy Assessors are not necessarily qualified to undertake Non-Domestic reports!

What will the assessor need to check?

Your assessor will require full access to the entire property in order to accurately measure. They will then examine the key items in the property such as the fabric of the building, the heating and cooling systems, the type of glazing and material of the window frames, as well as the hot water and lighting systems.

What will the assessor need to check

Are there any minimum rating requirements?

If you are looking to sell the property then there are no minimum rating requirements. However, if your intention is for rental, the property must, as of April 2018, have a minimum rating requirement of at least E. Failing to do so will mean you are unable to grant a new lease. You can check what ratings the neighbouring buildings have by entering the postcode in to the Non-Domestic EPC Register!

How long does the survey take

Commercial EPCs can vary massively, largely depending on the size of the building. However, the complexity of the layout, heating, cooling and electrical systems are also key factors – Some large industrial properties can take more than a day to survey and a further few days to write up the reports.

How long are they valid for

How long are they valid for?

Once the survey has been carried out, the assessor uploads the data and calculates the rating of the property. Next, the assessor lodges the certificate on the EPC Register. Once the certificate is lodged, it is valid for 10 years. However, if you make any significant changes or improvements to the property within that time, it is recommended that you have a new certificate issued.

How do I book a Non-Domestic EPC Register approved assessor?

To book in your non-domestic epc all you need to do is contact MyConstructor! The easy-to-use platform provides you with price comparison and availability on a nationwide network of qualified assessors. Simply enter the postcode, select the approximate size of the property and then choose the time and date that best suits your needs!

How do I book a Non-Domestic EPC Register approved assessor

Are all of your assessors qualified?

Yes, of course! All of our potential partners must complete a thorough vetting process before they can take any bookings through MyConstructor. The joining process includes obtaining the assessors unique accreditation number, which is then cross checked on the Non-Domestic EPC Register. Book with confidence knowing that all assessors are experienced, capable and properly qualified!